Pages

Sunday, 27 February 2005

Is Customer Service just a hyped concept?

Recently I had to interact with two very high growth organizations in India, as a customer. Both the companies are well known in India and are kind of leaders in their own space, one is a bank and another is the mobile service provider.

In the bank, I was facing some random problems with my accounts, the problems were very basic, to me the appeared mistakes, so I promptly wrote to my relationship manager and asked him to correct it. Days, weeks, months passed by, but there was no reply to my mails and phone calls. I had to escalate the issue as not only the time was passing but my no. problems were also increasing. Escalation after escalation happened, till I was talking to the regional head of Karnataka. Till that level no one cared to listen, leave apart attend to my problems. All this when I am so called classified as HNI customer and have a relationship manager to take care of my banking needs, on top of it I work with an organization that is the privileged customer of the same bank. God knows what treatment do the normal customers who walk into the bank for their banking needs. What surprised me was that no one had any inclination to look into the issues, and when the regional head did look into it, he still not had understood the issues or the problems. After exchanging some 50 mails, I could make the guy understand the problem, but still no solution. After few more phone calls a couple of simple ones got sorted, but the more important ones are still hanging. What surprised me was the way all the people in bank try to make a fool of you…the regional manager trying to tell me that he can not credit the interest due to me, as the interest is for the previous financial years…while the dates we were talking about were between Apr-04 and Sep-04, and this conversation happened in Jan-05. Don’t they do any customer profiling in their minds or systems? Just wondering…

With the mobile service provider, I was asked to submit my Id proofs, which I had dually provided when I bought the connection, but the company had lost it. Well some of their executives argue that I have to re-submit as per government orders, but is my PAN no. supposed to change in 18 months. Anyway I did go and re-submit, but still kept getting the messages saying that proofs have not been submitted, the guy whom I submitted refused to give me the acknowledgement that documents have been submitted. You go to their website and try writing to customer care, the e-mail Id is de-funct. The phone numbers go to the call center, where everyone answers in a automated voice ‘Please go to the nearest ….shop and submit your proof’. They do not listen and understand the issue. They do not give you the contact details of anyone higher up in the company. Finally I had to fax across the issue with a copy to the editors of all major publications in Bangalore, which did the trick and I got a mail saying, your documents have been received. Now why do I have to resort to such big steps for a small problem?

Some questions that intrigue me –

Should they not have defined service levels for each transaction?
Should the contact details of the person responsible for customer service not be public?
Should these organizations not publish the escalation mechanisms for their customers?

5 comments:

  1. seriously, i hate such kind of service..recently opened a bank accoutn with citibank..gave a check..after 14 days when i walk into there bank..manager cannot find my details on there system..it sucks..if i start saying..it will not become a comment insted will become a post...

    Anyways I think..its all about those who work in that organization...the organization should create those values in the employee...and make them to love the company...once they do it...no customer will have any issues...

    Cheers, for now your problem is solved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had such an experience with a credit card.I did not receive the card but have been receiving the statements for the fee !
    And on calling up the customer care numbers, the only things you hear are : some waiting tone and the recorded message"all our customer care executives are currently busy, please hold the line" , I have waited even 10 minutes like this holding the line !!
    Then when I somehow got to their site and posted my complaint, then the reply that I received was that the card was returned as the address was wrong, which left me wondering if the address was wrong for the card, then how come I am receiving the statements at the same address ! Still I do not know whether the card is still cancelled or not !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santosh, Shweta

    You can try sharing your complaints at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Consumer_Voice_India/

    I am told this group is very effective in sorting out the consumer issues.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Wonder...

    Sooner or later we will have middle men in the form of "Agent Organization's " who would know how to get the work done through these BPO's and we will be paying for there services to avoid all the hassles.
    Or
    BPO has to come up with the "Issue resolution" based performance incentive to motivate there employees.

    I wonder why do one complains about all the bribing at the Govt Offices.Atleast there is a channel to get the issues resolved at a faster pace,Wrong it may be.

    Vipin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you Vipin, and govt offices even have printed price lists for so called 'under the table'transactions which they stick to very religiously...

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete