Just before I went and saw this movie, I was chatting with Charu, who had already seen the movie. And I like what she said ‘We expect too much from movies, we should just go and enjoy them’
I found the movie Ok, the script could have been better and Babli’s character a little crisper, and looks like Amitabh was brought in only for the brand value and pull factor that he carries. I would have liked an Om Puri in that role. The same goes for Aishwarya’s item number, I think one of the true blue item girls would have done more justice to it. The story also becomes a drag here and there. But what I loved about the movie was the character of two lead protagonists. They kind of reflect the psyche of many young Indians who live in smaller towns, have big dreams, but have equally big roadblocks in their ways. Courtesy cable TV, they are connected to the rest of the world, have ideas and hence the dreams. But they are in social setup that does not believe in big dreams, which still thinks if you are just as good enough as your previous generation, you are doing fine. Any new idea is looked with lot of skepticism and there is no support what so ever. And the few who dare to live for their dreams so make it big. In fact like Bunty says, if Ambani, Tata, Birla had not dreamt and lived their dreams, they would have been running some small shops in their respective towns.
Movie’s punch line that ‘There are two kinds of people in this world…’ also tacitly conveys that once you know category of people you want to be in, you find your way to be one of them. Rediff has carried this feature on ‘Career lessons from Bunty Aur Babli’
http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/jun/02rashmi.htm, probably written by an MBA, in their typical style of promoting themselves, anytime, anywhere. Though I do not agree to the examples given in the article, but I like the thought behind it.
Amitabh rocks, especially in the drunk scene. Makes Abhishek look ordinary :-) As I commented somewhere else, there are movies with style and there are movies with substance. B&B doesn't pretend to be the latter, but falls short in the former category.
ReplyDeleteThe article you mentioned in rediff is actually written by Rashmi Bansal, IIM ahmedabad 93?? batch..
ReplyDeleteWonder how you could make out that it was written by an MBA.
I liked the movie overall - and in any case, my expctations from hindi mpovies are not very hight o begin with - but the movie captures the essence of life in a small city, the feeling of claustrophobia - where everyone is interested in what you are doing - and everyone expects you to conform to norms - and wanting to escape from it... but it was just tooooo long - somce scenes including the ash item number were there just for the heck of it - when will Indian movies get shorter and slicker?
ReplyDeleteShivaji,
ReplyDeleteNow that you tell me, I think i should have guessed the IIM part too... such a typical way of communication, can't help self promotion in whatever way possible...
-Anu
i actually loved the movie .. cos i never went expecting some great work ... i went to get entertained .. and i was :) .. ad as for the amitabh .. i thing the real punch in the movie came only after he came ... yes, he did a bit of overacting .. but i think he fits the role ..
ReplyDeleteand that scene between him and jr is really good too :)
the article on bunty and babli was excellent and very true indeed.to be honest Birlas and Tatas arose out of smaller dreams only.Ido feel ash is only the feel factor to grab the attention .if she hadn't been there ,itwouldn't have made much difference yes but junior B is paving ways towards stardom .his dad could be his lucky mascot.as of senior B each time he is a better character an "ubharta sitara "indeed every time in every role.the movie is total timepass but the easy flow leaves a deeper message that strong dreams change into strong realities.
ReplyDelete