Pages

Sunday, 3 July 2005

DNA in Mumbai

Dainik Bhaskar group is planning to launch its paper DNA (an acronym for Daily News and Analysis). A couple of weeks back, in a CII event I had the opportunity to hear a senior executive talk about the launch of ‘Divya Bhaskar’ in Gujarat and he also briefly spoke about their plans to enter Mumbai. But this weekend when I was visiting Mumbai, I saw that the whole city is full of billboards, which say nothing but give you two choices, and ask you ‘What’s in your DNA?’ I really enjoyed reading some of the choices and here they are:

1. Mallika Sarabahi or Mallika Sherawat
2. Cutting or Cappuccino
3. Buy at 7000 or Sell at 7000
4. Godfather or Sarkar
5. Boss or Spouse

The innovation in the launch ‘Divya Bhaskar’ in Gujarat and ‘DNA’ in Mumbai is that it’s a paper that you have to book, even before it is launched. In Ahmedabad, the data says that ‘Divya Bhaskar’ reported highest circulation on its first day of launch.

With Hindustan Times also trying to launch itself in Mumbai (and they have been planning this for a long time now), TOI coming out with its no-nonsense additional newspaper called ‘Mumbai Mirror’, and DNA trying to go its ‘book before you see and feel the paper’ way, it would be interesting to see the battle for readership. I seriously hope that in the bargain, the readers will finally get something worth reading, and this might be the beginning of the end of tabloids that all newspapers have ended up becoming.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this DNA business on my India trip. Based on your post, it seems like an interesting concept. The Mumbai Mirror was launched when I was in India too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. ANu..

    U r right.. we are also waiting if we get something at the end... But I am disappointed with Mumbai Mirror, its NOTHING but a colored version of Mid-Day, Hope DNA doesnt go the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Anu
    the battle of readership is exactly what is going to happen in near future.the question here is Mallika sarabhai is definitely better than Mallika sherawat but in this rat race of competition,the latter might take the toll.it is all aboutpopularity and capture and maintain readers interest not like the Bangalore Times where one only flips through pagesand reads nothing.Let us hope that DNAkeeps up the readers' attention and takes on the competitive edge

    ReplyDelete
  4. U missed another Important One : Launge bar or Dance bar ? :-) Agree with shalini, I dont think any qualitative improvement for the readers only quantitative....

    ReplyDelete