Pages

Tuesday, 25 October 2005

Bangalore Rains and some folk wisdom

After suffering the rains of Bangalore for about 4-5 days now, and with almost no signs of it stopping it for few more days, yesterday while stuck in the traffic I got reminded of my grandmother. Out of her various pearls of wisdom, one said in Punjabi ‘Kise ne 12 varianh da sukhha mangia si, 12 ghante da mihn nahi’. Translated it means’ Given a choice to pick between 12 years of drought and 12 hours of rains, the wise will always choose the drought’. After seeing the plight of Mumbai earlier and Bangalore now, and other areas in Maharashtra and other parts of South India, I realize the power of this saying.
Have you ever realized that our folk sayings have all the wisdom hidden in them? They sound so simple but are yet so profound, and you have one for almost every situation. People who lived closer to nature looks like can almost converse with nature and hence are better prepared for its blessings and the fury. In fact they live with the nature rather than try and conquer it for whatever reasons.

1 comment:

  1. yeah thats true.. they seem to have lived with nature. It has been quite raining now a days and outside whether is more likly to be a bless for good sleep than to work. There are few guys here from rajasthan, they were telling I am fed up of rains.. I do not any more rains.. I feel rajastahn hotness to be better than this weather.

    But, I think its far better to leave nature as it is and try to accomodate ourself to the givings of nature. May be there are some other aspects of life that might spring due to rain!!

    ReplyDelete