Pages

Saturday, 11 February 2006

Rang De Basanti…

Santosh this one is for you…as I was not as impacted by the movie to write the review. Apart from the youth awakening that the movie tried to portray there are some smaller nuances that I observed and related to, so I am going to talk about them.
There have been no real student movements in India, for or against anything. Students have almost chosen not to participate in the democratic process, they just go ahead and take whatever they are given by the society. They do not think they have the power in them to make the things the way they want it to be. Somehow in our minds the life is divided between till you are in school / college and after that. A student has a mindset that he has life only till he/ she is a student and after that life is a rut and not worth living, or at least not enjoyable. This is very well captured in the scene where DJ says he has passed out 5 years back, but does not want to go out of the University. I know a few people like him, who feel getting out of the university and getting into earning your living is loosing your ‘right to live’. I, for one, do not agree with this at all. Yes the world after University is different, and you enjoy it differently. The new world is as much enjoyable and livable as the world you come from. Actually at times it is much better as you have much more independence and freedom to do lot more things which may come from financial independence, positional advantage or something like that.
Apart from this it was personally touching, as I know a family who lost a young son in an MIG crash and I lost one of childhood friends in Kargil war, and these kind of movies somehow remind you of all those who lost their lives for no reason. Is the solution suggested is a solution, I don’t think so, but I think the idea is to shake up people and make them realize the power is there within you. And I liked the scenes shot in Punjab, showing Harmandir Sahib (golden temple) and other rural sports. Sheer nostalgia I guess.
My model of development, dealing with problems is the way it was shown in ‘Swades’, go ahead and get what you want, despite all the issues that surround you, and probably be an inspiration to others.

10 comments:

  1. yup, I belive in enjoying every phase of life..

    these kind of movies somehow remind you of all those who lost their lives for no reason.

    I did not get you.. you mean to say there is no reason for these guys to give their lives Or is it the movie you are talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. no observations and comments about the decadence and degeneration of life and living standards in North India or the creation, sustenance and proliferation of corrupting but the politicians in the central govt? shocking blogging....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santosh, Lots of people in Indian defense forces loose their lives, not because it is required, but because of politocal reasons. In 1971 war they fought and conquered so much of land, which was returned to Pakistan for a political gesture, isn't that a life lost for no reason.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  4. huh, NO... you cannot say that...a soldier joins army to save the country from external forces..for which they are ready, in fact proud to die for their counrty..whatever the reason might be political or whatever..just because the land conquered in war is returned does not mean that they have laid their lives for no reason...this is sad...they are fighting for your country, giving their life and you say they are doing it for no reason..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santosh, You got me wrong, what I meant was 'do we value their lives?', do we ensure that they do not loose their lives for no reason. Most of the people who loose life in Kashmir, are not loosing it for the country, but for the political motives of politicians, who have vested interest in keeping the issues alive.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  6. so right you are about these politicians !! Dying for the country is a noble cause which actually needs lot of courage. But the IPKF operation was a real sad affair . Real fresh budding youngsters lost their lives ...you can say maybe due political manipulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok..

    These politicians are elected by us.. Again how many of us, educated, casts their vote to elect them.. Myself. I haven't voted till now.. Not even once.. But again I have a reason.. I feel no one is worth my vote. And again why cannot I make the one stand whom I think is eligible for my vote or why not me if I am eligible.. Hmm, lot of questions... but end of the day...we all are paying for own mistakes, laziness or i think we just don’t care for our country..

    At least we should change our attitude.. Irrespective of how corrupted we are.. We should make sure our leaders are clean...

    I heard that few IITians.. Have started a national party.. Its too early for me to comment on them but still think its time for us to support the young blood..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, that you missed the point(as usual)of the movie.Its not about students or youth awakening.
    Its about
    Ensuring that justice is handed out,however cruel it might be.
    Not allow people to walk all over you and get away with it.
    Deal with the corrupt very harshly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the solution suggested is a solution, I don’t think so, but I think the idea is to shake up people and make them realize the power is there within you.

    the solution suggested is not realistic (its a movie)...

    agreed... killing a defence minister is not easy... but in this country, the assasination of Rajiv Gandhi happened (he was the PM then)... he was killed for a similar reason (some personal revenge by a group)... think in that way!

    these kind of movies somehow remind you of all those who lost their lives for no reason.
    i don't know how it is to go thru that, but i know how it feels, my wife lost her father in Kargil war (i was not married then)... but i understand what she goes thru whenever she felt she wanted her father around...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You forget the Mondal commssion, Crores of rupees of wealth was damaged. Thanks to VP Singh

    ReplyDelete