Pages

Tuesday, 11 April 2006

Banaras – Down the memory lane

Yesterday after ages I saw two movies back to back, one of them was ‘Banaras’ and the other is not even worth mentioning. Was reading the review of Banaras in TOI and was tempted to write my own experience.
For me, movie Banaras brought back all the memories back of the time that I had spent there, and a longing to go back to Banaras. As far as story of the film is concerned it was a confused story and no message came out of the whole story. At one level it is a usual story with a high caste girl falling in love with a low caste guy, who is not openly opposed by her parents, but they get him murdered before the marriage can happen. The good part of the movie is when they show how the protagonist deals with the pain and loss of her love, and more than that the betrayal of her own parents. The whole setting looks quite authentic, but the two women looked just too western and out of place for Banaras. The best part of the movie was the photography, which made Banaras look beautiful, the panorama shots of ghats on Ganga were breath taking; some of the shots with Ganga in backdrop were awesome. Not only does the cinematography bring out the beauty of Banaras, it also managed to capture the essence and spirit of Banaras both in terms of spirituality and orthodox society. You can watch this movie if you want to see and feel Banaras, otherwise there is not much to see. Music is good; I particularly liked the Holi song, which was sung with a ‘thehraav’ that the traditional holi singers have, unlike the film songs which are more about the beats.
Banaras holds a special place for me, as I have spent one year of my childhood in this historic city. I was about 6 years old when I was in Banaras, and probably the time when I started understanding myself. I still vividly remember our trips to Ramnagar palace across the Ganga, we used to take the long boats to cross the boat, reach Ramnagar and spend the day in the palace, and what fascinated me most in that palace was the old royal clothes of the queens and at that age I used to try hard and visualize how would a queen look in those exquisite ghaghras and dupattas, and how they would move around with so much weight around their waists. Another place that we frequently visited was Sarnath, and at that age too, it used to look mysterious to me, as if there are stories hidden inside those stupas, which I thought I will understand one day. There was this small village where we used to go and eat Dal Baati, see the famous Banarasi saris being woven, don’t remember anything other than this about the village. There used to be lots of monkeys in Kashi Vishwanath temple or was it Hanuman temple, don’t remember properly. Then there was walking around in the BHU, eating a tri-colored barfi, listening to my music teacher on AIR and my first birthday party that I remember.
I want to go back to Banaras…

8 comments:

  1. hhmm, pretty good.
    the prob with this kind of moovies is same, something abt them is good, but the message is missing (i felt same abt Being Cyrus!).

    But as far as banaras is concerned, i would defenitely like to see that moovie, i also like the city, been there thrice, BHU, Vishwanath temple, many others are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rahul,

    I also saw 'Being Cyrus' yesterday and I agree somewhere to create the abstract thing, the message got lost. Also somehow I do not like gloomy movies like this...like the more cheerful ones.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiI think maybe one needs to get their sixth sense out when you view Banaras movie. I really applaud the makers of this movie because they have tried their best to put a esoteric subject into a commerical format.
    i dont know how could you miss basic storyline of compassion, forgiveness and tolerance for others in the movie? even missing the philiosphy it has capatured.
    i have aritten my own review and came across this amazing intrepretation by viewer who might have never lived in banaras, but connects to the movie.

    http://swanarose.blogspot.com/2006/04/movie-makes-you-think-and-think-and-to.html


    http://banaras-meeta.blogspot.com/2006/04/time-for-questawarnessknowledgehealing.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Anu
    i am yet to see Banaras.but yes the story as i guessed was like ur version and i intend to enjoy the colourful part of the movie and to enjoy also the beauty and the charm of the city through the movie.i also saw Being Cyrus and somehow did not like it.there is some message not clearly defined and somehow feel it is not meant for mass audience

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. I have to wait and watch the movie, but your memory was interesting to read. For all obvious reasons, Banaras has a mystical charm for everyone, even Indians (the westerners throng them much more readily).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, I agree with you as far as appreciating the person behind Banaras is concerned for attempting to do such a subject, but at the same time I feel it could have been directed better.

    Shalini, come back to Bangalore, I am missing you.

    Parth, good to see you after a long time. I think all the places which have been inhabited for a long time have a soul, an life force that has existed for ages, a character shaped up by that and that is what makes the place mystical for most of us. Foreigners take it more seriously and there is enigma for them, we tend to have 'ghar ki murgi...' attitude.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you got even the smallest message out of the movie about the 'simple' truth of life then great!! but to me this movie is much much more
    its a layered movie with hidden codes like the da vinci code.
    its all lifes philosphies put in the simplest way for people to understand
    its a holy book!
    it teaches you about eternal life,destiny
    its a spiritual experience its not a movie
    and if you dont want to watch it for the spiritual message i cant understand why people miss the social-human message
    and in the end what is more important :how rigid ashmit patel looks in front of the camera or the message about 'life' it gives you

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most popular places to buy books especially for students is the old, narrow, paved, hustling Avenue Road. You never get back disappointed. And a great place to explore your bargaining skills :-)

    ReplyDelete