Pages

Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Twilight in Delhi by Ahmed Ali


This review has been moved here

To buy this book please click 

11 comments:

  1. Dear Ms.Anuradha,

    i was looking to learn more about graphology and happened to see your blog and it is wonderful to know that you had a great dedication to learn more about the subject. Would you kindly let me know where i can learn this course. You can mail me the details to my mail id at sree2jith@gmail.com

    Regards,
    Sreejith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anuradha,
    I've just found your nice blog and I am very happy about my discovery!
    I am from Italy and I am an avid reader of Indian books.
    I write myself a blog about Indian books (in Italian)!
    I loved Twilight in Delhi by Ahmed Ali. I think the atmosphere (and the heat!) you can breath in the book is really unique. Ali recalls a world that is no more, and make it real, vivid and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silvia,

    Italian translation of Twilight in Delhi is "Crepusculo a Delhi" (Nerri Pozza, Milan) .

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    "Crepuscolo a Delhi" is the translation I read (and it is an excellent translation!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where i can i get the book 'Twilight in Delhi' in Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anuradha,
    I would like to appreciate your writing style. I have read the book and at that time I found the book very interesting. Your interpretation and the ideas you have projected are very vivid.
    Thanks.

    Warm Regards,
    Balvinder Singh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anuradha,

    I am writing a term paper on 'Twilight in Delhi' and while surfing the net for some stuff on Ahmed Ali, I happened to come across your blog. I agree with you, the novel celebrates India and its rich cultural heritage. What deeply affected me though, was the frankness and simplicity with which complex relations and emotions are depicted and dealt with by the author. The British empire forever lingers in the backdrop of the novel but it never threatens or displaces the focus from Mir Nihal and his family.

    Its a really good novel. I am glad you took out time to write something on it and thus encouraged many others to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, its a great novel. I taught Twilight in Delhi for four years and recently we had Ahmed Ali's son and daughter here at Jamia Millia Islamia, where we organized the Fourth Annual Ahmed Ali Memorial Lecture.

    Roomy Naqvy

    http://novelfolder.blogspot.com

    Assistant Professor,
    Dept of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  9. William Dalrymple author of City of Djinns mentions this book and his meeting with Ahmed Ali in Karachi. He found him to be a very bitter man. Ahmed Ali recounted how once on his way to some eastern country his plane due to technical fault had to land in Delhi. He refused to disembark in Delhi. His feelings were that since the Delhi he knew does not exist, there is no point in returning. Also, he tells that he was not fond of the Punjabis :) and that they did not understand his urdu at Delhi airport or his poetic references to bygone days. Ahmed Ali equally hated Hindu and Muslim politicians for dividing India and thus his Delhi. Anyhow, its City of Djinns is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello,
    i want to know that how the marriage issues were solved in delhi in those times..
    can you help me? i hv an assignment related to the marriage issues that how they were been solved in delhi..

    regards,
    bushra

    ReplyDelete
  11. hie Anuradha...
    i m looking for the marriage issues in delhi that how they were been solved in those times.. actualy i hv an assignment to do on this topic.. i want your help.

    regards,
    bushra

    ReplyDelete