Pages

Monday, 6 August 2012

Malaysia Marvel VIII: Fruits of Malaysia

Fruits are an integral part of Malaysian cuisine and you can find them in sight across the country. Here I share some of the fruits that are not commonly found in India.




Rambutan – A fruit of the Lychee family, tastes also similar, but has a more thorny cover







Durian – A fruit from the Jackfruit family, known for its pungent smell. People say that you can either love this fruit or hate it, there is no third way.




Mangosteen – Another fruit that has Lychee like pulp but a hard exterior




Dragon Fruit aka Pitaya is colorful on the outside, but is dull light grey inside with white dots, probably that is what gave it it’s name




This is a typical roadside fruit shop 



 This to me looks like a variety of peer, but it is actually called Sweet Mountain Apple.




No clue what this is called, how it tastes and which family it comes from. Any help is welcome here.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting fruits! I knew about Rambutan and Mangosteen, but the others, no idea.. Thanks for the informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these, especially Durian :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen Rambuthan only which is commonly available in Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines etc. but not in India. Still you can buy Rambuthan in India in selected city/shop as they are importing it.

    http://divineeuphoria.com/buy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last fruit is salak or snake fruit

    ReplyDelete