Pages

Monday, 22 November 2004

Meri Mitti ki Sugandh - Yearning for my own culture

Yesterday I went to see newly released film (after a long draught of Hindi films in Bangalore) Veer-Zaara, and as I was coming out of the theatre, I met a friend of mine who was walking in to see the same film. She popped the very obvious question ‘How is the movie’, and I promptly replied ‘Well, I got to see my Punju (Punjabi) culture, like most Yash Chpra movies, I am happy, and she could probably see that on my face.



Since the time I am in Bangalore, I like watching all Punjabi channels on TV, which I don’t recall peeping into when I was in Delhi. In fact I make it a point to watch these channels everyday, only to hear that language if nothing else. Is living in South, coming from North any different from living abroad, except that you have all legal rights to live here? I remember during my overseas stay I used to watch all kinds of movies with an emotional sense and a way to keep myself connected to my homeland. I do the same in Bangalore by making sure that I am connected to my mother tongue.



Does this mean my homeland and my mother tongue are such an integral part of me, that I remember them only when I miss them. What does my own culture mean to people like me, who have grown up in different parts of the country and have seen a few cultures outside the country? Does it help me appreciate and understand my own roots in much better way? Does this nostalgia reflect an inner need to be grounded in my own culture or is it just a usual missing a thing when it is not around you?



Any answers???

4 comments:

  1. I guess we usually start missing and realising the profound effect and significance of some things only when they are not around..nostalgia strikes best when distance or neglect is its companion, I guess !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. santosh.surabi@gmail.com - Generally many doesn’t think about there loved once when they are around and start worrying about them when they are away. May be you are one among them if you think you love your mother land and lang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well..your nostaligia is telling you not to take for granted things u value...
    salaam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bozi, Saurabh,

    Its not missing exactly, but its the realisation that how deeply is your culture a part of you, which you never realise while you are in the bounds of it.

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete