From the promos of the movie Black on TV, I was not very sure if I want to see the movie. It looked liked a gloomy movie and my idea of Cinema is entertainment, so I waited for few of my friends to watch and give me the reviews. Everyone said it is good and you must see it, so when Mukund and Shalini asked if I want to go for the movie, I said Yes.
It’s a performance based movie, a story that can be told in few sentences, has been weaved and depicted nicely. The whole movie carries a dull look, and you see color only in one scene. No doubt all actors have acted very well, the best being the young kid who played the protagonist’s childhood. But I am not sure when people say that no one else could have played these roles, my belief is with such good direction any decent actor could have played these roles, but yes the presence of mainstream actors has added to the pull factor of the movie, which I am not sure would have been there is the actors were not as known faces. The movie belongs to the director totally and his effort is definitely admirable, both for conceiving such an idea and then taking the risk to make it with all his conviction. I am sure the efforts are going to pay off, if not in box-office then definitely in all awards functions.
Well, I kind of beg to disagree in the aspect of known actors being able to deliver a more pounding impact on the audience. In fact, if the person doing the act is capable of doing it, it basically reflects the measure of empathy one can give towards one character. For sure, a good actor's ability lies in him/ her being able to empathise with the character so much that they become the character in every sense.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, some directors of russian cinema are particular not to take actors who are famous/ well known, just because the character follows the actors ability than the actor following the character's depth.
Once again, this does not mean that the performance is any less impressive, or any more so. It just remains that way, comparison just becomes weak with that argument!
Well, I am glad you liked the movie. A lot of people seem to have disagreed with my review, but I also find that patience isn't one of the strong points for today's audiences. No one wants to see a movie that builds at a leisurely pace. I know friends who watch all Hindi movies and forward the songs. It is almost as if someone forced them to see it in the first place. That's another story though
ReplyDeleteIts a classic movie. Loved Ayesha Kapur(the kid). Definetly a different movie. Me wrote a review too. BTW first time here. will be back for more.
ReplyDeleteParam,
ReplyDeleteAll I am saying is that by taking mainstream actors like Amitabh and Rani, director has ensured the pull factor for the movie. I am sure these kind of movies have been made earler, but we may have chosen to call them documentaries and their screening may have been limited to film festivals only.
-Anu
Parth,
ReplyDeleteWe are loosing patience everywhere in life, if you see every product and every service that comes to you, claims to save time, am just wondering for what???
-Anu
Gvenum,
ReplyDeleteTotally agree, the kid was amazing and no one came close to her in terms of acting.
-Anu
well, I guess u have indeed got a point there. Including me, many are going to watch the performance of a known face. But you see, we want to see the person performing, we are not really bothered about the character.. just imagine what the stuff would have been if it had been unknown actor(s) who had taken the roles of the known ones: only the character would be in focus, which was my only contention..
ReplyDeleteBut, I agree, this would have reached nowhere the level it is now had it been anyone other than AB and Rani.
-Param
Free Advertising To Build Your Business. I found a a website that offers Free Adverstiisng to help build your business. It has helped double my business in matter of a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteCome and check it out if you get time :-)