This had hit me a lot of times during my decade of working career, but today when I saw it happen again, it triggered me to write this post.
The way hierarchies in our organizations are, it curbs the creativity and decision making capability of the most of the organization. So many times I have seen, people think in one direction to go, say north, they go to the boss’s desk, come back and start not only telling but convincing everyone that why South is the only place to go. They just drop what they think and start working towards what their boss tells them, without questioning it and without even giving it a thought. These are not the people who do not have a thinking of their own, these are bright people who want to so something in life. But the boss’s hierarchical grip is strong for them to even speak their mind leave apart have the guts to act on that with conviction. Or is it that they are so much under the boss’s influence or awe, to consider their own opinion as worthy as his / her.
Today when I was witness to one such conversation, I realized why it is so important for a leader to have a clear vision and an even more clear communication, as most of the people will just follow and do what they say. It is just the leader’s clarity of vision and his ability to get it executed that defines the success and failure of any venture.
Hi Anu - I've been through this too but all i can say is "Never allow anyone else to replace your thinking."....:)
ReplyDelete"...leader to have a clear vision and an even more clear communication..."
ReplyDeleteyes they should, its must. But I always think why everyone is not a leader and why everyone doesn't want to become one....they just want to follow.
Well all i can say is that not all bosses are leaders.
ReplyDeleteAnd as you have mentioned so many people shut their own eyes and brains to become "yes mans" to ego massage their bosses. And it happens all the time and everywhere.
Am i right boss?
I completely and whole-heartedly agree! If you are talking of the software world, I must say that the jobs are just glorified goverment-clerical jobs, that basically create this illusion of thinking "out of the box" but disallow creativity.
ReplyDeleteIn hunger of it... the employers seek it in life outside... those who cant feel the need, stay bound!
Bound people dont make leaders!
Do our political leaders have any vision :). Very funny. They hav just a vision, just money making. There r very few exceptions.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Leaders need to hav a vision.
First time here. Good post.
I read this somewhere "...Leaders are like eagles. They don't flock. You find them one at a time..."
ReplyDeletehi Anu
ReplyDeletethe article is example to the fact why we have only one Mahatma Gandhi and one Narayana Murthy