Pages

Saturday, 1 January 2005

India refusing Aid for Tsunami relief

This one is especially for you Santosh: Indian PM gracefully refusing foreign aid for Tsunami relief and saying that India can manage the relief measures on its own, to me seems like a major step in the right direction. From the time when for everything we looked at World Bank or IMF funding, and when each calamity hitting us made us more dependent on the first world nations, to moving to a situation when in the face of the one of world’s largest calamity, standing up and declining for any aid coming on its way and not only taking care of your own people but also sending aid to the neighboring countries who have been badly hit along with us, it is a giant leap in terms of nation’s psyche if nothing else.



If I have to compare this step to the growth of an individual, it is like an adolescent stepping into adulthood, and refusing to take help and instructions from parents or elder siblings, with a confidence that now he is grown up enough to take care of himself even in his time of grief and in face of lows in life, at the same time feeling responsible enough to take care of younger / not so strong siblings as and when he thinks they need his help, understanding their helplessness and grief.

13 comments:

  1. Very positive indeed.. basically, this gesture is an inherent quality whose time has come. It is all in the attitude of a person - outlook forces independence to surface out - it has to happen. So are many inevitable issues, if one chooses to make it happen, there cannot be too many ways not to reach that!

    btw, did you manage to lay your hands on the book I had suggested in your invitation (As a man thinketh)?
    -Param

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Param,

    Do I know you b some other name? I don't recall communicating with you or discussing about this book, or are you mistaking me for someone else.

    But thanks for writing your comments, they mean a lot

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anu, you are correct - you have never communicated to me - I made the statement under the assumption that you would have read my initial comment.
    I had left a comment few days' ago in a page that I found interesting in your blog.
    http://anuradhagoyal.blogspot.com/2004/09/my-first-blog-invitation.html

    I guess it might have been quite an old one, sorry for creating a confusion.

    I still suggest you read that book!
    And, my belated wishes for a wonderful year ahead.
    -Param

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been to Ooty for 31st, never got a chance to go online...as soon as I came back to Bangalore, jumped on to my system and checked emails. Then was the time to read on few blogs...yours was the first one I opened as usual....and there I see "India refusing Aid for Tsunami relief...This one is especially for you Santosh:". Before I comment...i would like to say...thanks for writing on this topic…

    Excellent comment...cool. That’s great thinking. You write good and think good...ok, I accept that we are ready to take care of ourselves, it is like ..."like an adolescent stepping into adulthood" ...But my mind says be more clever...use the funds we are getting from outside because we really do not have to pay them back...and use the so called money we have to feed ourselves in creating jobs(which in turn generates hell lot of money) at least clear the debts which are on each of our heads to world bank....This is what my mind says...

    But my Heart says what we have done is right...Dam we can take care of ourselves....and take care of other families...Well said Anuradha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Param,

    I would look for the book whenever I am in a bookstore next. I did go and read your comment but could not connect the two, anyway good to be in touch with you...

    Keep recommending books, I love to buy books, don't know when I will get to read them. ButI do post my book reviews as and when I read them, so keep checking the blog.

    Wishing you a fun filled 2005 !!!

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Santosh,

    You are most welcome, infact you made me write about something, that I may have never written about, so thank you.

    Have a sparkling 2005, you started it with travel, so I am sure you will go places this year !!!

    -Anu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anu,
    Thank you very much for the wishes.
    I guess what I started talking about is a very small book - probably you can term it as a booklet, rather. You would find an online version of it available in the net - something like concentric.com, i forgot..it is hardly few pages, but quite interesting, at least for me.
    I saw your review on Herman Hesse's Siddhartha. I have a similar feeling toward both these books, As a man thinketh and Siddhartha, with regard to its profoundness and thought-provoking ability. Siddartha took me by surprise, because I couldn't imagine that someone who is unaccustomed to the culture could imagine such a life so vividly.
    I would add this: The norms are there for one to follow a righteous path, not for the sake of following it - seek the help of these norms only as a guideline. Do what you believe in, and more importantly, believe in what you do. After all, it is your life, no one has the final say about it than you.
    -Param

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is indeed a step in the right direction - especially when you consider that the 'aid' which the 'first-world' countries will offer will be second rate medicines and GM food - all designed to promote western interests at the expense of developing countries. India is more than capable of looking after itself and this is a great opportunity to take a step in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    you make some good points about this - which is why I've linked to you from my blog :-) I feel it is an interesting move by India to refuse aid, and I think that despite the criticism, it's a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi,

    i am sudhakar_ittlu.i am from hyderabad.i read u r tsunami help.but it looks like a coin.it gives me vacilating feeling.i feel great when ever our govt step forward to help the neigherhoods.do you now one thing
    india barrow the money from world bank.but it can not rule our nation.at this time no other countries were silent but only india showing their real heart.

    i want to say another thing.i think u r most like to read the books.i am also.do you now the thelugu writer YANDAMURI VERENDRANATH.he is one of the famous write in tekugu.his kannada version of telugu book vijayaniki 5 metlu is the biggest sucess.i hope u can read that.

    have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For once I thought the Indian government was on track. Then, this happens: http://us.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/06sheela.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shaayira!

    Hey certainly that was one great action by Dr.Manmohan Singh and I agree that these Westerners would have meddled too much! So Thanks but No Thanks was indeed right!

    Indeed there is a destructiveness to AID especially the way the West does it (read John Kenneth Galbraith) and we in India would love to do without that.

    Another thing I hate is the way these Western News Channels portray rehabilitation efforts. It is always about some crises disease, misuse, delay rahter than the spirit. Wonder why their pettiness can sustain ... I am sure they cannot help but do that!

    What I admire is that spirit of the affected in all this ... yes all these places are back on their feet and struggling to create their existence all over again ... in no time. And we saw this happen in tragedy after another ... the earthequake, the Mumbai blasts ... YES we are good ... like they have tried to express in Swades ... however I found that the film was NOT emotional enough for the message and for India!

    Finally a joke about the Tsunami ... and before you or anyone gets touchy about it ... let me emphasize that it is excerpted from a news paper in Sri Lanka!

    Excerpt from Colombo Times..

    On 26th Dec '04 early morning several hrs before the catastrophy happened, Honolulu Tsunami Monitoring center have been trying to call our
    Meteorological Dept. monitoring center in Palekelle and Colombo but failed. They also got in touch with presidents' office however it was informed that
    she's out of the island on a private vacation.

    Finally they called Prime minister's secretariat, but
    Prime minister was out on his morning walk. Thinking
    at least it's best to keep him vigilant on this, the
    Honolulu officials left the message with the person
    who picked up the phone to inform Prime minister that
    there's a Tsunami coming from Indonesia.

    On prime minister's return, the operator told prime
    minister about the call, said T. Sunami from Indonesia
    is arriving in 2 hrs. Prime minister promptly took
    action to send a delegation to Katunayake Airport with
    name boards ' Welcome Mr. T. Sunami - Indonesia..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anu,
    Have started a blog of my own, inspired by a few, incl. yours!;-)
    do check it out sometime:
    http://parram.blogspot.com
    I would heartily welcome any comments.

    -Param

    ReplyDelete