Pages

Tuesday, 4 January 2005

Swades & My thoughts

Since the time TV channels started beaming the promos of Swades, I wanted to see the movie, but it was only after few weeks of its release that I could manage to see it last Saturday, yes it was the New Year day. By this time most of my friends and colleagues had seen the movie and I had all kinds of reviews about it. One of them actually said “You, will like the movie”, and I read all the debate of it being a documentary rather than a movie.



Here’s is my take on movie: I loved it. The movie echoes my idea of how India and Indians should learn to deal with themselves. For a very long time (at least since the time I have been on this earth) we comfort ourselves by blaming someone else for all our problems, and if we can not find out anyone else to blame, we end by blaming our destiny. We hesitate to take charge of our own lives and are always looking for an external driver to drive us. It’s time that we take charge of our lives and go out and get what we think we need and we deserve. If we can not deal with our problems, why should anyone else look at our problems and try to solve them….as they taught in school ‘God helps those who help themselves’ or in Hindi they say ‘ Apne mare bina swarag nahi milta’ i.e. ‘You must die if you seek heaven’….:-)

3 comments:

  1. Anu,

    when we know so much "For a very long time (at least ......... .are always looking for an external driver to drive us." (Taken from your post) ... about ourself, then why don't we change....I am not sure, what about you..planning to change.. :)
    Dam, my school did not thought me this "Apne mare bina swarag nahi milta"...cool caption ha...i liked it..I am hoping to die soon...oops! not so soon..ok, sometime lol/

    bye,
    santosh s kumar

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely agree with your view anu... only that i took my thoughts a little further...
    i assessed the movie from the point of view of the making of it and the idea...and i like the idea.
    also i wanted to vent out my ideas of self-dependence, and express my feelings about those indians who believe "this country is going to the dogs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. When swades's original kannada verson Chigurida kanasu (based on Marali Mannige) flopped, I am sure Gowarikar was worried. There is no audience for such movies Now a days.

    Moreover, Gowarikar made grave injustice by stealing Jnanpeth award winner greate genius Shivaram karanth's story "Marali Mannige" without even acknowledging.

    But, on the movie, it was a pale, draging and almost documentary like.

    ReplyDelete